Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I've got friends in low places

So this one tops them all. I have written in the past about bizarre things that people say or ask you when you're pregnant, but this one is inconceivable. The story I am about to tell you is real...the names haven't been changed to protect anyone because I don't know the names of the people involved. But I must remind you that this story is true and this is a real live adult that we are talking about that said these things.

Scene: Quik Trip bathroom
Background information: This was a particularly hot summer Saturday around 3:00 and I am very hot, cranky and I haven't eaten lunch yet. Add to that the stress that I am just returning from one of those consignment things that occur at a huge expo arena that resembles the mayhem of the day after Thanksgiving except all there is to buy is pre-owned baby clothes. I do not thrive in such an environment. So not only did I endure it, but I am walking out empty handed because I am so overwelmed that I can't seem to compute times of the year and what size my son will be. Add to that the fact that I am even further annoyed because I can't seem to make it all the way home with out having to go the bathroom, so only 5 miles from my house, I had to pull over and attempt to quickly use the restroom only to be confronted with someone that I anticipate I will soon see on America's most wanted. So there you go- the stage has been set-

Girl in bathroom: wow- you look miserable.
Me: (in the nicest voice that I can muster)I guess I'm just hot.
Girl: So you're pregnant right. (Did I mention she must have been a genius)
Me: Yes I am.
Girl: so how much weight have you gained.
Me: I don't know (I really do know, but I don't find it to be Quik trip girl's business and don't find that it's really anyone's business)
Girl: Probably 20. right?
Me: Maybe.
Girl: (and this she says with complete glee and accomplishment) I gained 50!!
Me: Huh (I mean, what really is the response to that?)
And here is the clincher-
Girl: So have you pee'd yourself yet?
Me: No, I have not.
Girl: Oh wow. Well, I pee'd myself all the time.

Why? Truly why? I just really don't understand why! And what is more amusing is that she said it with that same sense of accomplishment that she told me about the 50 lbs. I am sincerely at a loss. The only moral to this story that I can even imagine coming up with is never try to make friends in the Quik Trip bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment