Friday, August 20, 2010

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?

I am slightly obsessed with the movie Inglorious B’s. (Disclaimer: I realize that this is not the actual title of the movie and if you’re confused, you can just google the word inglorious and the correct following word will autopopulate. I’m not sure why I choose not to report the entire word, even for the practical purpose of naming the title of a movie; however since it’s my blog, I’ll make the rules and for some reason I have chosen not to use a word that rhymes with rasterds spelled out in full view for everyone. Now I realize that the very mention of the word has made some of you think of the actual bad word to which I am referring, which may or may not mean that I have caused you to stumble, therefore for the rest of this post, I will refer to the movie as Inglorious B’s and you can fill in the favorite B-word of your choice- I relinquish all creative rights to you the reader. I also realize that this has nothing to do with babies or pregnancy, but in keeping with the original flavor of the blog and since I am the CEO and President, it is about my opinion and I reserve the right to change the topic on a whim.)

So as I was saying before, my new favorite movie and a slight new obsession of mine is the movie Inglorious B’s. I can’t pick my favorite thing about it. The story line is wonderful, the artistry is brilliant, and the actors (with the exception of BJ Novak who I have decided must be Quentin Tarantino’s nephew or something) are perfect for their roles. The part that takes the cake however (or takes the strudel if you’ve seen the movie) is Christoph Waltz who plays the part of the Jew Hunter. He gives, without a doubt, the best performance of anyone in a motion picture since Citizen Cain. I didn’t even know who he was until this movie, but now I’m a fan! He speaks four languages in the film flawlessly (okay, maybe I can’t say flawlessly since I am not Italian, French or German, but it sounds flawless to my ear, so I will give him that credit). His character is cunning, manipulative and calculated, but you almost find yourself liking him- which I believe is a fete for an actor to accomplish. Bravo to Mr. Waltz.

Which leads me to today’s SOAPBOX! I am positively intrigued at how un-talented people can be these days and yet still be famous. It really bugs me. As long as you are remotely attractive (or even remotely unattractrive, case in point Scarlett Johannsen) you can be famous and considered the best of the best in your craft. I know there have to be extremely talented people out there, but for some reason America is very satisfied with setting the bar so low that someone like Eva Longoria is a multi millionaire and considered a great actress. Bleh.

I must thank my mother for many things in life, but one of the one of funnest gifts that she gave me was not allowing me to watch any current movie until I was about 18 years old. Instead, we were raised with movies like “Singing in the Rain” and “Thoroughly Modern Millie”, “Holiday Inn” and “Father Goose”. That’s right- if you were unfortunate enough to have been invited to my 8th birthday party, you would have been subjected to watch “Arsenic and Old Lace” which is black and white, starring Cary Grant and hardly a slumber party movie. Granted all of these movies come with the melodramatic flair of the time and no, they don’t have the special effects or budget of the movies that we have today. But they were witty, they were well made and you actually had to have a sense of talent and artistry to be an actor back then…and comedy actually had to clever, not just a potty joke, that to me is an easy laugh.

And don’t even get me started on music. That’s a whole other soapbox.

So again, bravo to Mr. Waltz and to the brilliant movie that is Inglorious B’s. I hope to see more like you to come, but I fear that with today’s zest for mediocrity and obsession with reality TV, sex appeal, and effects rather than artistry, cleverness and talent you will be few and far between. So as Mrs. Meers would have said to Millie- “Oh pook.”

No comments:

Post a Comment